Wednesday 19 August 2015

Beer52: My first experience with Subsciption Box Beer

Subscription boxes seem to be everywhere at the moment, at one point it was just Graze Boxes, but now you can get almost everything delivered to your door on a weekly/monthly basis. (As I type I am toying with the idea of trying subscription coffee).
Recently on my facebook page adverts for Craft Beer Clubs began to pop up on my news feed...how exciting! Now where I live in Guiseley the area seems to be full of Craft Beer enthusiasts, from the pubs of Otley to the recent opening of Fuggle & Golding (craft beer shop) in Ilkley. Naturally I prefer to spend my money within our area, however I have a bad habit of looking at something new, but then defaulting back to my old favourites. Because of this I decided to sign up to an online Beer Club, I could see what all the fuss was about and try new tipples in the meantime.

I decided to try out Beer52, the story of the company is brilliant. James Brown (founder) went on a roadtrip from Edinburgh to Faro on his dad's Harley Davidson and upon stopping off and trying various different weird & wonderful beers he decided to start the company to spread the word about small micro-breweries and share some hidden gems with us.
The box arrived when I was at work, the other half had been teasing me all day after opening the box for a sneaky look. When I arrived home I could not contain my excitement...seriously it was like a child at Christmas. In the box I received not only 8 bottles of beer, but a bottle opener, Beer52 book and 'Ferment' the company's newspaper.
Now you will have to bear with me whilst I sample all these beers as a much needed healthkick is pushing me to weekend beer only...however already I am sold and will be carrying on until my wallet says enough!

So far the best part of the box is not the beer, but the newspaper that was included. The middle page opens up to show all the tipples included in your box with all possible information and tasting notes (how brilliant is that).
I am looking forward to trying 'Mambo Jambo' which is brewed especially for Beer52 as well as 'Wild Goose Chase' as my twitter feed is forever full of bottles from the Wild Beer Co and I can never find any !!!

So in a nutshell I do think that Subscription boxes are the future...I will probably only order them every other month so that I can frequent my local craft beer shops and keep them going, but it really is a brilliant idea. It is a bit pricy, but as an every now and again it makes a good treat...I suppose the cost can really be justified by knowing you are trying something completely different and supporting small micro breweries.
If you want to give these a try then click on the link below to get £10 off your first box.



https://www.beer52.com/join/52054/e134fb0399673fe3

- Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts